Friday, August 22, 2008

About Brazil ... Part I

Okay -- I'm down to the final days of my sabbatical, so I guess I better post some of my Brazil material before I run out of time!

First, let me say that international travel is not the easiest of games ... Even though we bought our tickets in January and had confirmed seat assignments ... when we arrived in Chicago to board our international flight, we learned they had overbooked the flight. All previous seat assignments were thrown out ... and until five minutes before boarding, we still weren't sure we were going to get seats. If Lou and Fay (who spoke Portuguese and could communicate with the airline personnel) had not been traveling with us, we probably would have been bumped.

Here we are preparing to leave Kansas City on July 31. From left: Joy, Yvonne, Carol and me.

We departed Chicago around 10 p.m., and I believed they served us dinner about midnight. I was too wound up to go to sleep right away, so I channel hopped through the various movies they were showing. And finally, I inflated my pillow, donned my eye mask and got a few hours' sleep.

We arrived in Sao Paulo the next morning, and we were pleased to find that all our luggage made it to our destination the same time we did. Praise God for that! We then boarded another three-hour flight to Recife, arriving early evening on Aug. 1.

The airline limited us to two carry-on bags and two suitcases weighing no more than 70 pounds each. We all carried the maximum allowed, as we were hauling lots of supplies that we planned to leave in Brazil.
Happy travelers reunited in Sao Paulo, Brazil, with 12 suitcases (not shown) and ready for the next leg of our journey. From left: Fay, Lou, Carol, Joy and Yvonne.

No comments: