Sunday, April 6, 2008

Chicken and stuff


The kids and I are in Pittsburg, Kan., tonight. We had a terrific dinner at Chicken Annie's with Grandma and Grandpa J. If you've ever been in this part of the state, you're sure to have heard of it. I remember going to one of several locations as a child with my parents, grandparents and extended family members. People would drive for miles and stand in long lines to eat fried chicken and all that went with it. Here's some interesting background on the restaurant.

Tomorrow morning we'll attend a funeral for my great aunt, Florence Boulware, 94, who's gone home to be with her eternal Father in heaven. It will be so nice to be in the company of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, celebrating her life and recalling her colorful antics. For example, I'll never forget attending her 90th birthday party and seeing her perform "He ain't nothing but a hound dog." Then, just a few minutes later, I heard her reciting poetry that she had known since she was a young girl. She couldn't have weighed more than 90 pounds, but there was nothing else about her that was small. She was a woman of great substance and faith. And I'm grateful for the opportunities I had to be with her. She shared stories about our family heritage that I had never heard from anyone else. Every conversation with her was like a special gift.

No comments: